1506 6th Avenue #106, Columbus, GA 31901 * cathyfussellquilts.com
email@example.com * 706 577-0674
A quilter for almost 50 years, Cathy Fussell maintains a studio in Columbus, Georgia. She produces both hand-quilted and machine-quilted pieces. She makes traditional quilts, art quilts, and modern quilts, and she sometimes salvages vintage quilt tops. Cathy often collaborates with a family member during the design phase. She sometimes exhibits work in shows, and she occasionally teaches a class. She is constantly evolving as a quilter.
In 2011 Cathy retired from a 28-year career teaching literature and composition, first at the high school level and later at the university, where for the last eight years of her tenure, in addition to teaching, she directed the Carson McCullers Center for Writers and Musicians. Since her retirement six years ago, Cathy has been able to devote herself full-time to quilting. She particularly enjoys incorporating literary and geographical themes into her quilts.
JURIED EXHIBITIONS AND AWARDS:
· "Desert Sunrise" -- Juried into American Quilter's Society Quilt Week, Lancaster, Pennsylvania, March 2014.
· "North Alabama Hillsides" -- Juried into Modern Quilt Guild QUILTCON, Austin, Texas, February 2015.
· "William Faulkner's As I Lay Dying, Graphic Novel Version" -- Juried into Studio Art Quilt Association's Southern Accents exhibit, Ruth Funk Center for Textile Arts, Melbourne, Florida, Summer 2015.
· "North Alabama Hillsides" -- Second Place, Handwork, Modern Quilt Guild QUILTCON, Austin, Texas, February 2015.
· "North Alabama Hillsides" -- Juried into American Quilter's Society Quilt Week, Paducah, Kentucky, April 2015.
· "Abby's Quilt" -- Juried into "Celebrations," Bulloch Hall Quilt Guild's Annual Quilt show, Roswell, Georgia, March 2015.
· "Livi's Goat Quilt" -- Juried into "Celebrations," Bulloch Hall Quilt Guild's Annual Quilt Show, Roswell, Georgia, March 2015.
· "Satsuma" -- Juried into Quiltcon 2016, Pasadena, California, February 2016.
· "MAKE MORE QLTS -- U and I can do it!" -- Juried into Modern Quilt Guild Showcase 2016: International Quilts, International Quilt Festival, Houston, Texas, November 2016.
· "MAKE MORE QLTS -- U and I can do it!" -- Juried into QUILTCON 2017, February 2017, Savannah, Georgia.
· "Spinning Yarn," SouthArts. Crealde Arts Center, Winter Park, Florida, Fall 2016.
· "Caught and Loose," Quilts by Cathy and Coulter Fussell, Campus Gate Art Gallery, Young Harris College, Young Harris, Georgia, October 2016.
· In 2016 she was commissioned by The Congressional Club, Washington, DC, to make a quilt for First Lady Michelle Obama. The result is "Apollo Splashdown Revisited -- Homage to Alma Woodsey Thomas," which was presented to Mrs. Obama at The Congressional Club's Annual First Lady's Luncheon, Washington, DC, May 12, 2016.
"Quilting -- The Ultimate Recycling Project," by Mary Lyons, Columbus and the Valley Magazine, April 2014.
"Cathy Fussell: A Quilt for the First Lady," by Brenda Stevens, Art Currents Magazine, June 2016.
"Tales of Tradition," Orlando Arts Magazine, Orlando, Florida, September-October 2016.
“’Spinning Yarn’ at Crealde Celebrates the Visceral Appeal of Traditional Southern Art,” by Richard Reep, Orlando Weekly, December 7, 2016.
For the Chattahoochee RiverWarden, a large commissioned piece to be raffled, benefits to support the work of the RiverWarden.
Guest Presenter at Cotton Boll Quilt Guild, Auburn, Alabama, August 16, 2018.
Featured Artist, Jule Collins Smith Museum of Art Holiday Sale, Auburn, Alabama, December 2017.
Invited artist, Old Town Art Sale, November 16, 2017.
Presentation, “Fashioned for FLOTUS, The Story of the Michelle Obama Quilt,” Columbus Museum, November 16, 2017.
Invited artist, Chattahoochee Riverkeeper’s Valley Rally, West Point, Georgia, May 5, 2018.
Invited artist special exhibit, Pea Ridge Arts Festival, Buena Vista, Georgia, April 28, 2018.
Studio Presentation to Columbus Unitarian Universalist Women’s Group, May 10, 2018.
“The History and Significance of Quilting” – artist’s studio.
“Hand Quilting Techniques” – artist’s studio.
“Improvisational Quilting,” Sunnyside Community Center, Harris County, Georgia.
“Ice-Dyeing Workshop” – Yalorun Textiles, Water Valley, Mississippi.
“Rail Fence Quilt Workshop” – Yalorun Textiles, Water Valley, Mississippi.
“Lazy Tumbler Quilt Workshop” – Yalorun Textiles, Water Valley, Mississippi.
Cathy Fussell’s work is held in private collections in Columbus, Georgia; in Brandon, Mississippi; in Eagle Lake, Texas; and in New York City. In 2018 Cathy’s quilt “Satsuma” was purchased by Fulton County Public Arts, to hang in one of the public libraries in Fulton County (Atlanta), Georgia.